Trinity Presbyterian Church – Montgomery, AL

History and Story

 

Trinity Presbyterian Church’s three-pronged, heartfelt mission is to glorify God through simple, God-centered worship, to equip church members through faithful teaching, and to aggressively evangelize both at home and abroad. Put more succinctly, the church aims to exalt the Savior, expound the Scriptures, and exhort the sinner. Since the inception of Trinity Presbyterian Church, sharing the truth that Jesus Christ is Savior and Lord has been a compelling passion for its members.

 

The history of Trinity Presbyterian Church is permeated by both tribulation and victory. What could be defined as spiritual success, meaning the growth and maturation of members in their relationship with God and in their relationships with one another, has come as a direct result of God’s humbling revelation of Himself. Trinity Presbyterian Church asserts that only when members listen to and obey the calling of the Father, can they be successful in their endeavors.

 

Trinity Presbyterian Church was founded, for example, during the Reconstruction Era after the War between the States. As the nation faced economic and social hardship, God’s faithfulness and power were at work in the first and only Presbyterian presence in Montgomery. In 1890 the Presbyterian Church in Montgomery had organized a mission Sunday School, which eventually blossomed into a group of approximately seventy members who called themselves Central Presbyterian Church. Reverend Neil L. Anderson led the meetings, which were held in the courthouse on Washington Street in the central section of the city.

 

Central Presbyterian Church prospered in the following years and consequently constructed a permanent building at the southeast corner of Washington Avenue and Lawrence Street in 1893. There it continued to grow until 1914 when the congregation erected a new building at the corner of South Hull and Felder. Because of the shift in location, the name Central Presbyterian Church was no longer appropriate, so members elected to change the name to Trinity Presbyterian Church in honor of the home church of one of the original deacons. A fire destroyed the sanctuary section of the building on January 12, 1951, and a new one was constructed in traditional church architectural style. The new building at South Hull and Felder is still the place Trinity Presbyterian Church calls home.

 

The focus of Trinity Presbyterian worship services is the same today as it was at the church’s initial meetings, glorifying and exalting the Holy Spirit. Every effort is made to divert attention away from human efforts and direct it to the appropriate source, which is the leading and supreme authority of the Holy Spirit. Singing hymns, meditating, praying, collecting offerings and reading and expositing Scripture accomplish the common goal of communicating the truth that Jesus Christ, the living Lord, dwells by His Spirit in and with believers.

 

Trinity Presbyterian Church equips Christians with spiritual and intellectual depth so that their lives may be rich and joyful with a strategy is two-fold strategy. First, members are encouraged to make concerted efforts to explore the Scriptures and infiltrate their minds with biblical principles. Second, in keeping with the greatest commandment to love God with all one’s heart, soul and mind and to love one’s neighbor as oneself, members create opportunities for building strong relationships within the church body and with other segments of the community.

 

The learning process begins in the preschool and children’s department, where children from birth to sixth grade are educated about the supreme authority of their Holy Father. In Sunday School children commit to memory the Scriptural answers to simple yet profound questions like, “Where is God, and how can I worship Him?” The trusting, eager minds of young children are molded into a habitual, faith-based approach to thinking about their world.

 

As children grow older and enter into Catechism Class, they explore more detailed areas of their belief. Children’s Church, Pioneer Clubs, and Vacation Bible School provide year-round opportunities for the children to continue growing in their knowledge of the Word of God. In addition to providing a fully staffed and experienced nursery for all church events, the children’s department also sponsors a New Mother’s Ministry and operates an educational institution called Trinity School for kindergarten through twelfth grade students. Trinity School was founded in the 1970 and moved to its current location on East Trinity Boulevard in 1972.

 

Evangelism is the culmination of the church’s educational efforts within the body. Since early in Trinity Presbyterian Church’s history, missionary groups have spread the Gospel throughout the city of Montgomery and beyond, holding to the motto, “The other side of the street, the other side of the world.”

 

Early in its history, for example, when Trinity still bore the name Central Presbyterian Church in 1901, a night school and Sunday School were established at the cordage mill in north Montgomery. In 1926 another mission emerged in the Oak Park area east of Montgomery and became Mulberry Street Presbyterian Church. Two additional churches developed as a result of Trinity Presbyterian Church’s community focus between 1926 and 1929, Millbrook Church and the Presbyterian Church at Shorter.

 

Evangelizing to the people of Montgomery was an act of obedience that led to further spreading of the Good News, reaching beyond the Montgomery county limits and the Alabama state lines. By 1941, the year the church celebrated its fiftieth anniversary, missionaries to foreign countries were an integral part of the church body. Currently, Trinity Presbyterian Church supports 100+ missionaries serving in countries all over the world. The Faith Promise offering fund exists specifically for the purpose of supporting pastors in foreign countries. Mission teams have traveled to Ecuador, Ireland, Poland, England and other locations around the globe. Over a hundred church members volunteer their services at the Rio Bravo Mission in Mexico ministering to students at a school for deaf children.

 

For foreigners in need of the Gospel who have come to Montgomery through their affiliation with Maxwell Air Force Base in Montgomery, Trinity Presbyterian Church offers English as a Second Language courses, focusing on Chinese and Turkic speaking Muslims who, if converted to Christianity, could have a miraculous influence on the Eastern Hemisphere of the world.

 

Trinity Presbyterian Church’s efforts to share the saving message of Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord stems from the faithful presence of the Holy Spirit where people gather in his name. The fruits of equipping members through Christian education is that they are thereby empowered to evangelize aggressively both at home and abroad. Thus the ultimate goal of the church remains constant and rewarding,- to exalt and glorify God through simple, sincere worship and dedication and to equip its members to evangelize the non-Christian world.